The Institute is administratively composed of two departments:
• Department of Organometallic Chemistry and Heterogeneous Catalysis
• Department of Biorganic Chemistry
Both departments share the scientific instrumentation, the Institute's services and the general goals which according to the agreement reflected in the creation include:
Contribute to the development of chemical research, the advancement of knowledge and technological progress and industrial development.
• Encourage and support research activities in close connection with training tasks at the University of Seville.
• Promote and facilitate research in the fields of Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Carbohydrate Chemistry, Organometallic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Enzymology, peptides, proteins and chemical synthesis.
• Provide young graduates a way to access to scientific careers
• Promote relations with other research institutes in Spain and abroad and collaborations in related fields.
• Encourage international scientific relations and exchange of information
According to the IIQ’ s Strategic Plan for 2010-2013, research projects that are developed in the Institute for Chemical Research are grouped into two major research lines:
•Organometallic Chemistry: Fundamental Studies, Process Catalysts and other applications.
• Organic Chemistry and Biology.